Monday, March 17, 2014

...A Return to Kenya

Sunday March 16, 2014


Hello from Londiani, Kenya!
This is something that I never thought I would say when I left Londiani the first time in 2011 but I am back. I have to say that I can sense at change in Kenya and in Londiani. There is much more development overall. There are newer roads and a feeling of better utilities. The electricity has even stayed on for the entire evening but no guarantees for tomorrow.

We did have a lovely game drive at Nakuru National Park this afternoon. We were able to see giraffes, baboons and some of the pink flamingos that made Nakuru famous. We also saw a gigantic rhinoceros. He was quite amazing.

I truly enjoyed the overlook view of the lake. It was breathtaking. I was actually surprised how little movement there was in the water given that the lake’s size. The lake was actually so still that the treetops were reflected in the water.

I also enjoyed the stillness and the quiet at the park. It was wonderful to only hear the calls of the birds while standing in the safari truck and feeling a light breeze. This is quite a world away from the rumblings of Atlanta.

I actually feel quite at peace. I told J on our way here that in the past couple of months, I have started to feel more like myself than I have in a long time. I think this is a very good thing and Kenya is a very good place to be at this moment.

Tomorrow we will start to prepare for the course. The course starts on Wednesday but the teachers will arrive on Tuesday. We do have lots of work to do before the bell rings at 9am on Wednesday AM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment